Are you wondering what to make for Christmas morning breakfast? I have the perfect holiday recipe for you: Apple Cinnamon Crumble Muffins
What do you make for Christmas day breakfast?
You can either fuss around and make a full traditional breakfast consisting of bacon, eggs, sausage and toast. Or you can sweeten up your Christmas morning and make easy cinnamon sugar apple muffins. The batter for these muffins are full of Christmas spices like cinnamon, clove, and allspice. This easy muffin batter is loaded with apples and topped with brown sugar to give a perfect crumbly muffin top.
How do you make muffins?
You can use a base muffin recipe that can create all kinds and varieties of muffins. All you need is the basics: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, plain yogurt, and milk. All of these ingredients are pantry staples, so you can whip together muffins in a hurry. If you don’t have plain yogurt, you can use sour cream in its place. Any type of milk can be used to make muffins, but I find that whole milk makes the most fluffy and flavorful muffins.
How do you use leftover apples?
This cinnamon apple muffin recipe is a beginner baking recipe. You don’t need any fancy equipment or weird ingredients. All you need is a mixer, standing or hand, some bowls, and an oven! I love simple breakfast recipes like this because I don’t like to spend time fussing in the kitchen, especially on Christmas morning. You don’t have to bake this just for the holidays either, this recipe is a great way to use leftover fall apples from your fridge or orchard. I make this tasty muffin recipe whenever I am craving apple pie, but I don’t want to make a pie!
How do you make a muffin cakey?
To make a muffin light and fluffy like a cupcake, it is important to cream the butter and sugars together. This technique is used in a plethora of baking recipes like cupcakes, cookies, and cakes. Use this technique with muffins, and you will find you have a fluffy muffin! To add a layer of density to the muffins, milk is used in the recipe so it is the perfect mixture between light and dense.
How do you make muffins moist?
The secret to having moist muffins is to add in plain yogurt or sour cream. Either of these ingredients will add moisture to the batter resulting in a moist muffin.
How do you get tall muffins?
The secret to getting tall muffins is to bake the muffins at a high temperature initially then lower the temperature after 5 minutes of baking. Baking at a high temperature initially allows the muffin tops to lift then when the temperature is lowered, the insides of the muffins will bake.
Make sure to fill the muffin cups up to the top, this will ensure that you get the most rise out of the muffins.
What are the best apples to use for apple muffins?
I would suggest to use honey crispapples. These are my favorite kind of apple because they are crunchy, juicy, and full of flavor. Because of this, they bring crunch, moisture, and a strong apple flavor to anything that you bake with them. You can also use tart apples like granny smith apples and these apple muffins will taste delicious—honeycrisp are my personal preference.
This is the easiest and tastiest muffin recipe you will ever make. Let’s get baking!
Apple Cinnamon Crumble Muffins
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- A pinch of ground clove
- A pinch of allspice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Prepare a muffin tin by coating with non-stick spray or using muffin liners.
- Prepare the crumb topping by mixing together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, ground clove, and allspice. Mix in the melted butter gently using a fork. Do not overmix as you want there to be large crumbles throughout.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Once creamed and smooth, add in the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Mix together on high speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Put the mixer to low speed and slowly begin adding in the flour mixture until incorporated. Fold in the chopped apples.
- Fill the muffin cups to the top and divide the batter evenly among the muffin tin. Spoon crumb topping onto the tops of the batter in each muffin cup and lightly press it into the batter to ensure that it sticks.
- Bake at 425F for 5 minutes then reduce the heat to 350F. Bake for an additional 15-18 minutes until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. The Total time of baking is 20-23 minutes. Allow the muffins to cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.