Here’s a way to create something great by combining two common foods: Potato’s and Cheese! This Scalloped Potatoes Recipe is loaded with cheesy goodness. It’s also a great dish to pair with one of my dinner recipes.
This dish combines Au Gratin Potatoes and Scalloped Potatoes into the ultimate dish. A Scalloped Potato dish often has thinly cut potatoes baked with heavy cream and lots of herbs. In contrast, an Au Gratin Potato dish would use grated cheese between the layers. This dish combines both to give you the BEST Scalloped Potatoes.
For this recipe I cut the potatoes thicker using a Mandoline so the slices have equal thickness. After cutting, I place them in a casserole dish on end alternating potatoes and onions. Doing this increases consistency and distributes flavors evenly.
After creating your new layered masterpiece pour the cheesy sauce (created by mixing butter, salt, flour and cheese) over the potatoes. Place in the oven and bake for an hour and a half.
Gubba Tip: If you enjoy a crisp top to your Scalloped Potatoes, change the oven from bake to broil during the final five minutes of cooking.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, slice into rings
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions cut for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Butter a 8×8 casserole dish
- Place sliced potatoes and onions into casserole dish alternating between potato and onion
- Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Mix flower and salt and continuously stir with a whisk for one minute. Stir in like cooking until thickened.
- Stir in cheese all at once and cautiously stir until melted 30 to 60 seconds
- Pour cheese mixture over potatoes and cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 90 minutes in preheated oven at 400°F