Envision cold winter days and home cooked meals. When you come in from outside, your hands are cold and your cheeks are about to freeze from frostbite. The wind is whipping by the house, and the snow is drifting aimlessly about the yard. It’s not a time to go out for dinner. No. It’s better to stay safe at home and fill the house with the wonderful aroma of Hot Chicken Soup. This amazing chicken soup meal takes approximately 3 hours.
Savory Chicken Soup
- 1 16oz bag Great Northern beans (small white beans)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 onion diced (red or white, whichever you prefer)
- 15-20 garlic cloves
- 1 28oz can of petite diced tomatoes
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 potato
- Rinse beans and boil in water with sugar.
- Cut up chicken in about one inch squares, and brown in frying pan with olive oil.
- Dice onion and add to chicken.
- Put tomatoes and chicken in a large crock pot on HIGH.
- Shred the garlic cloves on top with a cheese shredder.
- When the beans are done (in about an hour), add them to the crock pot.
- Dice the celery and add. Peel and dice the potato and add.
- Add water as necessary to fill the crock pot. If you want it spicy, add 1-3 sliced jalapenos at the start.
- Cook for approximately 1-2 hours in crock pot on high. Reduce to low and serve.
- Optional: Garnish with chives and tortilla strips