Eggs and toast is a classic breakfast meal. It’s a world-wide common breakfast or quick, tasty meal, and I absolutely love it! Eggs and toast may seem like a simple meal idea, but you can spruce up this plate and get creative! I will tell you about one of my favorite quick, throw together breakfast recipes (I also eat this for lunch and dinner):
Eggs in a basket!
This simple eggs and toast recipe is fun and creative and engages picky eaters. If you are in a crunch for time and don’t want to make simple eggs and toast, this is the recipe for you!
Recently, I’ve been buying my eggs straight from the farm, and they taste amazing, so I’m consuming more eggs. When I visit the farm, I see the chickens that lay my eggs, so I know it’s not a silly gimmick. The taste of farm-fresh eggs is much better than what you find at a typical grocery store. It’s a great feeling to know that the chickens are happy and healthy.
I assume that most everyone has eggs on hand in their fridge, so this simple breakfast recipe should be easy to assemble. This tasty breakfast toast consists of: your choice of bread, shredded cheese, seasoning salt, and eggs! Most kitchens and pantries have these basic ingredients on hand. I generally use shredded sharp cheddar or shredded parmesan for cheese, but use any cheese in this meal. I also used a mix of sourdough and whole wheat bread. I had never made this recipe with sourdough bread, but I had a loaf on hand, so I gave it a try. I prefer whole wheat bread for eggs in a basket, but the sourdough was delicious!
Because I’ve been consuming eggs on the regular, I’m cooking and baking with them more often as well! This past weekend I foraged in the woods, which works up an appetite. On my way home, I stopped by the farm to purchase Pullet eggs, which are eggs from a younger hen. They are just as healthy as standard farm fresh eggs, but smaller. As soon as I saw the smaller size, I knew I had to bake eggs in a basket for lunch—they were perfect! I also use traditional size eggs for this recipe, but these smaller eggs seemed like they might fit on top of the bread more easily. This is the perfect Pullet egg recipe!
Now let’s get cookin!
Best Eggs In A basket
- 2-4 slices of your preferred bread (I recommend whole wheat)
- seasoning salt
- Shredded cheese of your choice
- 2-4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 415F. Place your bread on a cookie sheet. Using a spoon, squish down the middle of your bread slices to create a crater for your egg to sit in.
- Crack and place the eggs in the craters. Sprinkle each slice of bread with 1/4 teaspoon of seasoning salt. Sprinkle on cheese to your liking over each slice. Add an additional 1/4 teaspoon of seasoning salt over the cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. Once the cheese begins melting and the egg white is cooked through, turn on the broiler to high. Move the oven rack up to the top slot and broil for 1-2 minutes until your eggs are done to your preferred consistency. I prefer the yoke to be a bit runny, so I only cooked mine about 1.5 minutes. Keep a watchful eye on the eggs in basket toasts while broiling—they cook fast!