Nothing quite like a homemade scone!
Even better: a homemade VEGAN scone! I made strawberry vegan scones from scratch this week, and it was definitely worth it! The aroma wafted throughout my house and the scones were a tasty bite to complement the mornings.
You can eat scones plain, dip them in coffee, or decorate them with icing. I prefer plain scones as I don’t need a burst of sugar in the morning. I don’t drink coffee, so fruity vegan bread is perfect for me! I chose to throw strawberries into these scones because I had them on hand, but you can substitute in blueberries or any type of berry! The strawberries add a natural sweetness to the scones and an extra bounce to your bite.
This recipe can be a little tricky because the dough will seem a little dry and not come together until the strawberries are added, but don’t worry! Moisture from the strawberries brings the dough together. Conversely, to get a firm scone texture, the dough should not be too wet. It should be flaky in some parts but should easily come together when pressure is applied. Not too wet or dry! If the scone dough is too wet, it can affect baking times and the center will take longer to bake through.
This strawberry vegan scone recipe is so simple! You can make these on a whim in the mornings, or whenever you decide to. You will likely have all the ingredients on hand so there is no need to visit the store. You can substitute all-purpose flour for oat flour, pastry flour, or whole wheat flour. Whatever flour suits your needs is suitable for this recipe! Regular table sugar can be used in place of raw sugar as well. You can make this easy scone recipe non-vegan by using dairy products in place of the vegan ingredients.
Vegan Strawberry Scones
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tsp cold vegan butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a baking sheet
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter to the dry ingredients. You want the mixture to be crumbly with the butter roughly pea-sized throughout.
- Combine the milk and vanilla. Form a well in the middle of the dry ingredient dough, and pour in the milk and vanilla mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the strawberries
- Make the dough into a 9-inch diameter circle and cut into 8 triangular pieces.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. At 20 minutes, insert a toothpick into the center of the scones and make sure no dough comes out with the toothpick. If the scones are not thoroughly baked, bake 5 more minutes and until golden brown on the tops.