Do you like cake? What about cake for breakfast? If you like cake as much as I do, then I have the perfect breakfast cake recipe for you! Let me introduce to you a family favorite: Huckleberry Coffee Cake. As usual, this recipe is a family recipe, and my dad has been making it for as long as I can remember. In the summers, I would often wake up to the smell of this berry coffee cake baking in the oven, and I would get excited to devour a piece for breakfast.
This easy coffee cake recipe is stuffed to the brim with huckleberries, so every bite is an explosion of flavor. You can replace the huckleberries with blueberries or blackberries as well. The berries can be either frozen or thawed. Generally, I toss in frozen berries due to the ease of it, but if I have fresh berries on hand, I always choose fresh.
Homemade coffee cake has an aroma that lingers in your house for a few days, and I never complain about that! I love coming home to the smell of fresh huckleberry coffee cake. This cake is also dangerous as I, myself, can eat almost the entire pan in one day. I’m not kidding either. I love this easy homemade coffeecake!!
As crazy as it sounds, this tasty breakfast cake gets better if you allow it to sit for a day. It becomes sticky and bit gooier—a recipe for YUM! I won’t kid you though, I always have a bite fresh out of the oven. The taste of the cinnamon and sugar mixed with the tangy taste of huckleberries pairs perfectly and creates a scrumptious breakfast treat.
Go pick some huckleberries or whatever local berry you can get your hands on. If this is not an option, head to the store and pick out your favorite berry and load them on into this perfect coffee cake recipe!
Huckleberry Coffee Cake
- 1/4 cup salted butter (softened)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups huckleberries or your berry of choice
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9-inch round baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Gradually add in the sugar. Mix together until combined. Add in the egg and mix again until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt then add into the butter mixture.
- Mix in the vanilla and fold in the berries.
- In a separate bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon to make the topping.
- Pour the cake mixture into the baking dish and top with the cinnamon topping and place in the oven to bake for 60 minutes.
- Once finished, allow to cool and enjoy!